Thursday, March 25, 2004

Laptop Paradise Lost

There are many different types of sadness and upset. I have experienced plenty of them in my years.
I have been so upset that I have cried until my head was sore
I have been so upset that I could feel the moment my heart broke
I have been so upset that I was only able to scream silently

Most people who know me think I tend to over-react to situations. I am the sort of person who normally has a good rant, or yell, or cry and then I'm over whatever incident has upset me.

This is a different kind of upset. I have been upset for two days. I have not had a reaction yet. I am deathly calm. I think this is happening to someone else.

I have been studying for a Masters Degree for two years. My last two exams are in six weeks. My thesis is due for submission in four months. I have been working very hard. My personal life and my health have suffered.

Two days ago, I fried my laptop. Every article I have read, every class note I have taken, every assignment I have submitted was on that laptop. I have lost all the work I've done over the past two years. Gone. All of it. Everything.

I have been telling this story. I have been laughing about it. I think it's hysterically funny. Like I said, I think this is happening to someone else.

No comments: