Friday, August 13, 2004

Holidays are coming...

For the past fortnight, I've been anticipating today, and now that it's here, I hardly know how I'm going to manage to retain a professional veneer for another 7 hours because at this stage I just do not care. I have lost the will to work.

At 4.45 this afternoon, I will down tools and go home a little early. (I say a little early, but I go home at that time nearly every day. I haven't got it that easy though, because I usually start work at around 8.30, so it's all swings and roundabouts.) Strictly speaking from 4.45, I will be on my holidays. In reality, I am on my holidays already.

Both of my bosses happen to have taken today off work and I don't share my office with anyone else, so who will know if I lock the door and curl up under my desk for a little nap before I go for coffee later this morning? Who will catch me if I spend the entire day with my feet up on the desk, reading the newspaper? Who will be concerned that I spent my last few hours in the office blogging and emailing friends that I haven't been in touch with for a while? Who?

Oh, that's right, NO-ONE!!!!!!!!!

A-ha ha ha! A-ha ha ha ha ha!! Ahhh!

So, what am I doing for my holidays? Well, nothing too exciting. Tomorrow, my husband and I will head down to Cork for a party and then on Sunday or Monday, we'll tootle across the south, through Waterford, to Wexford. We'll spend a fortnight in Kilrane (a little village just outside of Rosslare, but nicer) pootling about, following brown sign-posts, walking, swimming, fishing, reading and writing my thesis. (He doesn't know it yet, but it will be a joint effort - oh yes!)

After that, I might decide that I like the life of leisure so much that I'll hand in my notice and quit my job. Though that's not terribly likely. I need my salary more than that particular moment of gratification... Dammit!

1 comment:

Conor said...

He knows it know. There was possibly a flaw in your plan.