Monday, February 13, 2006

I have an owwiee

Rather foolishly, a couple of weeks ago, I allowed myself to be goaded into challenging a "friend" to a 10k race. Our race will coincide with the Great BUPA Ireland Run in the Phoenix Park (which we're both signed up for) on 9 April this year. I said I'd do it in under 45 minutes. Not 45 minutes. Under. 45. minutes.

I've been in training ever since. Luckily for me, I like to run and there are plenty of nice places for me to go at work and at home. I've been going out at least twice and mostly 3 times a week.

I did a drive around at home over the weekend and realised that I'm going to have to train a bit harder. My main route takes me around 25 minutes to complete, but it's only 5.5k.

So I decided to ramp up my efforts today. I did this circuit in 30 minutes, but I'm not sure how far the route is, because there's no scale on the map. Anyway, I feel like it's a lot further than I normally go and that I did it at a quicker pace than I normally run, because Oh My God, my legs are like jelly this afternoon. I am exhausted.

I suppose that it's all good - another couple of days like it and maybe even 10k in under 40 minutes will be looking promising!

Gerry, are you listening? The gauntlet is being thrown back at you!

5 comments:

Conor said...

Under.
45.
Minutes.

Are you sure that you don't read Matthew Reilly?

Sinéad said...

The illiterate bugger has obviously infiltrated my psyche. Get that damn book out of my house.

Gerry said...

Allow me to throw that gauntlet right back. With my huge training efforts I am now looking at an awsome time of under 1 hour 45.
Under.
1.
hour.
40.
5.
minutes.

Sinéad said...

Impressive... Is that some sort of quantum anti-training that you're doing?

Gerry said...

No, its called cigarettes and alcohol. mmmmmm