Thursday, June 01, 2006

Birthday Stories selected by Haruki Murakami


Twelve birthday-related short stories by twelve different authors.
I enjoyed this book more than the 3-star rating would imply but I have a bit of an issue with short stories. You see, I'm a greedy reader - so I like short stories because I can guzzle them down quickly, several in one sitting. Unfortunately, this means that I don't give myself the time to digest each story on its own merits, so they all end up being a big messy blur. Also, I find that short stories tend to leave me feeling a little bit dim: I'm sure that there's a meaningful message tied up in the story and I just don't get it.
So, my own feelings of inadequacy aside, not one of these stories is about a 'Happy Birthday'. The strange tenor of each tale juxtaposed against the pre-supposed happiness of their settings left me in an oddly dissatisfied and slightly depressed mood. Maybe I did get it after all?

No comments: