Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Where have all the standards gone?

As time goes by, I find that (in general) the mainstream media is becoming more and more liberal in terms of what is acceptable and what is not. I am often dismayed at the same time to discover that I am not... I can remember being outraged when I had to stay up listening to the radio after 10 o'clock at night especially just to hear George Michael's (then) new song with the shocking title "I want your sex"!

God be with the days.
Ah, the innocence of it all!

Just before Christmas, a radio station here ran a singing competition for primary school children (aged 5-12). Classes could enter any song they wanted, so long as it came from this century.

Imagine the shock suffered by those poor Junior and Senior Infants teachers, when they read the lyrics of Christina's "Dirty" proposed by their young charges!

2 comments:

Gerry said...

You do realise that George probably wasnt singing to you. In fact you may have picked the whole song up completely the wrong way.

Sinéad said...

I'm a bit out of practice with this blogging lark, I'm afraid, and I didn't make the source of my outrage clear...

It didn't bother me that George Michael was seeking someone's (and I realised even then that it probably wasn't mine) sex.

It was the fact that the Irish censor had insisted that the song only be played after 10 p.m. that annoyed me.