Friday, September 03, 2004

My theory about winning

I have a theory about how I win things. This is a personal theory, developed through the observation of my own environment and circumstances. As I haven't conducted any tests on its applicability to the wider community, i.e. anyone other than me, I cannot comment on its generalisability.

Anyway, enough preamble. Here's my theory on how I win things:
"If I genuinely don't, not even for a glimmering brief moment, have the slightest thought of winning cross my mind, then I might win."

This is the tricky bit - it means that winning is a completely unpredictable and unexpected outcome for me. I can't even anticipate, imagine, hope or speculate on what it might be like to win something that I have entered because if I do, I won't. I can't even consciously prevent, suppress or negate a thought of winning or think about not winning.

This might sound like a fairly pessimistic world view, but in fact it's not. Let me give you an example. Every Friday, my department in work runs a mini-lottery. You put your €2 into the pot and your name goes into the hat. If I think to myself "Ooh! it'd be lovely to win this week", or "Hmmm! last Friday before payday and I'm broke... I hope I win the lotto", or "Will I win?", or "I'll never win this week", or "I could do with the cash, so that means I won't win" at any point during the day, I won't. In fact, if I have any thought whatsoever about the outcome of the draw, there is no hope that I will win it.

But (and I think this is the great bit) anytime I do win, I haven't had the slightest inkling of a win, loose, or otherwise on the cards for me while I was handing over my cash. A completely genuine lack of consideration for the outcome of the event results in success!

Now, this theory has led me to speculate just how far I can extend the logic. Does it apply to anything good that I might like to happen to me, e.g. applying for a new job that I'd really like? If I really don't think about what it might be like to work in the new place, does that mean my chances of getting the job have been improved by my karmic resonance?

What about life in general? If I completely ignore and refuse to consider the possible outcome(s) of any situation I am in, will this mean that I will (proverbially, of course) always land on my feet? (I'm almost ready to give this strategy a go!)

Or by consciously deciding to never consider possible consequences for my actions, have I just cursed myself to a lifetime of mediocrity and nothing really good that I would have quite liked ever coming true for me?

Ooooh. Sometimes the metaphysical conundrums that I construct to pass the time on a Friday afternoon just end up freaking me out. That's why I normally don't post them, because then you'll start to see the inner workings of my brain, and even I get scared in there on occassion.

No comments: