Friday, October 08, 2004

There's an eight o'clock in the morning now?

Last night I was in a very bad mood indeed when I blogged. I'm not using that as an excuse for saying some harsh things and I'm not going to apologise for having said them. Mostly, I'm sure it's nothing you haven't found yourself thinking but have been brow-beaten by political-correctness gone awry and Niall Crowley of the Equality Authority into feeling ashamed of it.

Well fear no more. Thanks to some fairly strong views on "certain things", a probable lack of deep knowledge on the topic of "certain things", raging hormones and the relative anonymity of web self-publishing, I am more than willing to be the subversive voice of your stifled consciousness!

This morning I was listening to the traffic news on the radio and apparently another protest had been planned by the "Travellers" to begin at 8am. I held a short debate in my head and decided that I would still go to work, because I would normally be well past the proposed protest zone by that time.

All morning, the traffic updates were full of the doom and gloom of this impending protest that was "due to start around now", but on the 8.10 bulletin, it transpired that no-one had shown up. There were Garda on stand-by (to try and "protect" the "protesters" from angry commuters, I presume) and there were a number of press photographers hanging around (to catch some of the hoped for "Limerick wedding"-type goings-on, I imagine). The traffic had been heavier than normal for that time of morning as people tried to get past the protest site. Traffic on alternative routes was also much heavier, according to the news. But no sign of the "Travellers".

One can only imagine that they had tired themselves out altogether yesterday and had to have a little lie-in. Either that, or none of them had actually ever heard of a time of 8 in the morning.

No comments: