Monday, July 05, 2004

Sometimes, ya gotta back down a little...

Before I start, let me just say that I *still* hate watching sport on TV. And I still resent perfectly good programming time being wasted to air (inter alia) rubbish football matches.

That said, I did watch a bit of the Euro 2004 final last night. And I was cheering (though you wouldn't have known it to look at me, seeing as I wasn't actually cheering out loud, or anything undignified and hypocritical like that) for Greece.

I wanted the Greeks to win the tournament for the following reasons:
1. They were the underdogs

OK, there was only one reason. They'd been written off by all the soccer pundits and in classic Greek style, they raised their hands in the sign of the evil eye and put the kybosh on all the other teams, and against all the odds, got to the final. Shock-horror! They even won it!

Fan-bloody-tastic! So this is where I back down a little on my rant about sport on TV... but this is also where the point that I tried so inelegantly to make about the useless and far more irritating post-match commentary really comes into it's own.

There now follows a loose re-enactment of the exchange between that soccer genius, Eamonn "Grumpy" Dunphy and Some Other Famous (on RTE) Sporting Commentator:

E"G"D: (in a tone of disgust) In every village and town where this game is played, all over the country and all over Europe, coaches and managers will be pointing at Greece and holding them up as role-models.

SOFSC: But they won

E"G"D: They're a rubbish team

SOFSC: But they won

E"G"D: Who the hell do they think they are? Coming to Portugal and playing like a bunch of amateurs?

SOFSC: Who? The winners?

E"G"D: Whine, whine, whine. I'm a whiney bitch

SOFSC: At last! Something everyone can agree on

And so say all of us!

No comments: