Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Oh Lordi

I am a big fan of Eurovision. Huge!
I love everything about it. How kitch it is, how twee, the block voting, bitching about the various entrants.

2006 was a bumper year.
There was Germany - an incredibly sappy (and very un-German-esque) Country number;

There was Turkey - a fairly chunky forty-something, who had beaten herself into a sequined ice-skater's costume that revealed her less than attractive tatoos, surrounded by some aggressively heterosexual (not!) male dancers (who could dance really well - as only aggressively heterosexual men can't);

There was Ireland - at least this year we didn't shame ourselves with traveller-boy or the incestous McCalls. But what a dreadful dirge! 'Every Song is a Cry for Love', indeed! What about 'Smack My Bitch Up', or 'Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter'? 'This Song is a Cry for Help!' more like!

There was the Ukraine - who went back to their Svetlana-roots and fielded a Shakira-sound-alike (I was surprised that this didn't do better!)

And of course, there was Finland. This year's winner. And what a performance!

I watched these guys in the Semi-Final with my jaw hitting the floor. I voted for them on the night of the Final. I cheered every time they scored a 'douze points' and hissed whenever they appeared on the 1-7 board.

Well done boys (and girl). The Orcs have finally come good!


I can only wait with baited breath to see what Europe will send to compete with itself next year!

3 comments:

Conor said...

And FYR Macedonia, who really know what eurovision is about, and Andorra in their knickers and corsetry. Russia with the white lady appearing from the piano.

My boss boss just cuaght me writing this. Darn. Still a bumper year.

goodurs said...

i didn't watch any of it, but i did hear an interview with alice cooper on the radio last night to talk about how the winning song sounds like his "poison" song.

Sinéad said...

Con - the best thing about Andorra was that their fat singer was dressed in slimming black and surrounded by white lingerie-clad lithe lovelies, so no-one noticed the singer. She was quite the voice talent too!

Ursula - I'd heard that comparison to the Coop's Poison before too. What did he have to say on the matter?