Friday, May 26, 2006

The Best Thing That Can Happen to a Croissant by Pablo Tusset


DBC Pierre was a bit misleading in his write up. Pablo has his own personal standards of Integrity, develops a personal hygiene fetish, smokes his joints with (not before) his breakfast and only pleasured himself in the sink of his local bar to get the best value from a prostitute once. He isn't much for political correctness though. That bit was accurate.

That said, I've really enjoyed reading this. The translation strikes me as being a little ropey in spots and they could have done with a better proof-reader, but I won't hold that against them.

Loosely, the plot runs along the lines of "loser little brother accidentally and unwillingly takes a journey of self-discovery and comes good". There were some very funny moments that made me laugh out loud too. It reminded me a little bit of a book called The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty. Also well worth a read.

No comments: